Re: [opensuse] Thunderbird, Reply-to List 3.0, and slowness opening large emails
  • From: "David C. Rankin" <drankinatty@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 05 Nov 2008 17:13:34 -0600
Joe Morris wrote:
This is just a heads up. I was just trying again to find the cause of
the slowness of Thunderbird to open bigger emails. A 5 meg email would
take several minutes and high CPU load to open a message. After trying
several things, rebuilding indexes, splitting up emails into several sub
folders, etc, all to no avail, I found a question in a similar subject
thread asking about extensions. I then tried disabling all extensions,
and it worked normally. Trial and error located the culprit, Reply to
List. When started via a console, the console revealed all kinds of
output when a message was clicked on for viewing. I then uninstalled
it, and Thunderbird was back to its normally quick self. I then tried a
bit of research, and found this.
http://lists.opensuse.org/opensuse/2006-11/msg03384.html which discuss
an editor preference that works to reply to list using the Reply to All
button, but it works the same as the reply to list. So I can have a
reply to list without the slowdown for big messages the extension was
causing me. Just in case others are suffering from the same symptom.

Good heads up Joe, thanks.

I'm not sure where Mozilla is headed? The interface and usability seems
to be
going backwards instead of forwards. I have 4-5 bug reports open. Also note
there is a change in the forward messages "inline" behavior so that tbird no
longer forwards attachments unless the preference is set to forward messages as
"attachment"...

--
David C. Rankin, J.D., P.E.
Rankin Law Firm, PLLC