Re: [opensuse] Booting Problem After Drive Replacement
  • From: Jerry Houston <Jerry@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 2 Nov 2008 15:51:33 -0800
On Sunday 02 November 2008 15:07:54 Joe Morris wrote:

The drive I'm replacing holds only DVD movies. The other two drives
contain my / and /home mounts. That's why I thought that replacing it
would be safe and easy.

Understandable. Is this drive referenced by /boot/grub/device.map, or
do the drives take on a different order via your BIOS with the new drive?

I'll have to get back to you on that - after I get it booted. :-)

I don't know what this particular drive has to do with GRUB, as it was
added to the system long after the other two drives were in use. One
would think that GRUB could care less if it is replaced, but apparently
that's not true.

Sounds like it is now referenced via device.map, which could mean a
different boot order from your BIOS. Most will let you give an order
these days.

When I booted from the DVD, selecting "Boot from hard disk" didn't do any
good. (It did at one time in the past, although an ordinary attempt to boot
without the DVD would not.) So I told it to do an automatic system repair.

After a very lengthy consideration, it told me that it couldn't find a boot
partition. (And did I want to do a new installation?) So apparently that
movies-only drive, which was the third one added to the system, somehow became
my boot drive.

I've re-installed the additional card with 2 SATA ports, thinking that maybe
they really were compatible with my BIOS, but other problems kept things from
working. And I've installed the new 1.5 TB drive using that accessory card.
It actually shows up in the POST, so it may turn out to be okay.

I'm back in the system recovery process, but this time with the original drive
back where it originally was. I'm confident that the recovery will find a
bootable drive this time, but it sure does take its time. And if it indeed
does a fsck on that 1.5 TB drive, that's gonna take a long time.

In the end, though, I *may* have a working system with the new drive added to
it. That would indeed be sweet.