Re: [opensuse] internet MAC address
  • From: Joe Morris <Joe_Morris@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 03 Nov 2008 07:22:13 +0800
On 11/03/2008 12:30 AM, Richard wrote:
I have been having intermittant connectivity problems, so started trying to
fix like an auto mechanic: replace a part at a time and see what works.
Router is linksys, fairly new so not suspicious. Cable modem was maybe 5-6
years old or more, so replaced that. Not much change, still lose
connectivity at an odd time, nothing can get me back up, then some hours
later, voila!, I am back on...so rush to get out emails, or questions like
this while possible.
This should give you a clue, that unless you are actually doing
something to get it working, the problem is not within your local equipment.
New cable modem has new MAC address, which I registered
with ISP, but am not sure how to re-set in SUSE 11.
You mentioned you have a router, so I would assume Internet-->cable
modem-->router-->local computer(s). This means your local computer has
no direct connection to the cable modem, so it does know anything about
the MAC address of the cable modem.
On the one hand, I am
online now, but check with eth0 in YAST, Network Devices, shows old MAC
address.
Which would only be local NICs, not external ones. This is normal.
I assume I can manually change in a file probably in /etc, but I
did not find one that seemed obvious. Any suggestions?

Do not worry too much about your side, it sounds like the problem is
external to you. In a cable modem connection, you are on a subnet along
with other users. My guess is one of the other users (or a number of
other users) has gotten infected (or worse) and is flooding the network
with traffic that effectively gives you a DOS. If it is as intermittent
as you mentioned, that is my first guess. If the cable company is
responsive, when it happens again, you should call their tech support,
which should be able to determine if this indeed is the problem, and
they can take steps to regain control over their network. HTH.

--
Joe Morris