Re: [opensuse] SMART daemon question
  • From: "Andrew Joakimsen" <joakimsen@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 30 Oct 2008 19:58:15 -0400
On Thu, Oct 30, 2008 at 4:34 PM, Carlos E. R.
<robin.listas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Running those tests periodically is generally considered a good thing.

I agree, but I don't fully trust them. Sometimes they will say a drive
is OK but you can hear the motor is on its last legs.

Also the disk is continuously having minute read errors when reading, and
correcting them. This is expected and normal. Only when this error rate goes
up consistently you have to worry.

Read or write errors are *NOT* normal.

If the OP is seeing the message such as Raw_Read_Error_Rate, or
Hardware_ECC_Recovered every few minutes or even once an hour I would
suspect the disk is going bad.

Here is my test for replacing a drive, if it is seeing any errors,
making odd noises, etc. I look at the cost of the disk (usually < 100
USD) if the data on the drive is worth more than the drive itself or
the consequences of the drive failing (vs making an image during
off-peak times and replacing the drive), thus bringing the system down
until a replacement can be sourced and the OS reinstalled, I replace
it. I figure the total replacement cost might be USD 150 (probably a
little less) with the drive, imaging the data and sending a technician
to replace it. The cost of replacing the drive one morning when the
user can not boot their system (and not being able to do their job) is
at the minimum least triple that, probably even ten times that.