Re: [opensuse] HPLIP and ink status
  • From: "Carlos E. R." <robin.listas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2008 02:15:09 +0200 (CEST)

On Tuesday, 2008-10-21 at 16:40 -0700, Randall R Schulz wrote:

Price per page is much better for laser printing. You can find both
manufacturer official quotes on these numbers as well as end-user
experiences on various on-line consumer ratings sites, including
Amazon.com.

If you need color, it's probably a different story, but that's not
something I know about, since B&W is fine for all my needs.

I bought one recently, a cp1515n. I thought that the estimate was about 1000 pages per toner cartridge, and it uses four (BW 64€, the 3 colours 59€ each; the printer was 234€ (all without taxes), so the toner is as expensive as a new printer).

But when I looked at the HP supplies page, it now says "2000 pages", so I'm confused. I don't know if they have changed the numbers, or the cartridges that came with the printer are half-loaded (complimentary).

So, at 1000 pages, each page would cost 0.241€, and half that at 2000 pages.

I don't have figures for inkjets, but it is cheaper that my old inkjet, considering that when I left it unused for two weeks it dried and I had to hand-clean it, wasting ink.

- -- Cheers,
Carlos E. R.