Re: [opensuse] openSUSE (11.0) getting worse with the influence of KDE4 - Part #1: zypper
  • From: Roger Oberholtzer <roger@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 20 Sep 2008 11:54:28 +0200

On Sep 19, 2008, at 7:29 PM, Bruce A. Mallett wrote:

Granted that repositories for stable release are assumed to be stable,
nonetheless it seems like this points out an opportunity for a (small?)
user-friendly enhancement to Yast. Somewhat like the idea of when you
try to run a not-yet-installed program where it makes the suggestion as
to how to do it, it would be neat if Yast could push out a message
suggesting that one add such-n-such a repository.

I wonder why, when I checked the community repository list after
the info about the QT4 requirement, QT4 was not in the list. Granted,
it was no trouble to enter it by hand. I have done this for years
already. Perhaps I missed something. When I went to see if it was
there, it did give a message that it was checking the net for additions
to the list.

But a message, as stated above, could be a good idea. Even if it had
been in the list, I would never have thought it add it for a KDE3
issue.

In a way, this is a slippery slope. We are moving from RPM
dependency to RPM + repository dependency. This is not a
new issue. But this example makes it apparent that there
could be a need for repository dependency specifications
in packages.

Perhaps an RPM could require a file, stored in some place
on the user's system, who's name is the name of the repository
it wants. A file called 'Repository http://yadda.yadda'. Then,
when Yast is doing it's thing, it could say something like:

packageX can't be installed because "Repository http://yadda.yadda'
not found. (Or however it words the problem).

The dependency must somehow be met, but you get the idea. No
change to Yast or any other manager. Just use RPM as it is
to make the requirement known.

--

Roger Oberholtzer

OPQ Systems / Ramböll RST

Ramböll Sverige AB
Kapellgränd 7
P.O. Box 4205
SE-102 65 Stockholm, Sweden

Office: Int +46 8-615 60 20
Mobile: Int +46 70-815 1696

And remember:

It is like talking about large city with all constructions finished.
Not impossible, but very unlikely.