Re: [opensuse] Extract Sound From Flash
  • From: Neil <hok.krat@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 19 Sep 2008 08:27:15 +0200
On Thu, Sep 18, 2008 at 11:41 PM, Rodney Baker
<rodney.baker@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Fri, 19 Sep 2008 03:13:21 Kai Ponte wrote:
I want to grab the sound from a flash file (badgerbadgerbadger.com) and
save it to a file.

I've googled and not found a solution.

Ideas?

--
kai
www.filesite.org || www.perfectreign.com

mplayer -dumpstream -dumpfile <output filename> <flash file/url> may work (if
you have the right codecs installed) but you need to know the correct url to
the flash file. A lot of web sites obfuscate the url to prevent downloading.

There are 2 ways I know of that would fix that. One is easy enough for
dummies like me to come up with, the other is slightly more solid.

1. You can install the video download helper plugin for firefox. This
will ad a button that will light up if the right file types are
present. Flash video (.flv) is one of the right types. You can simply
click it and download the file. Then you can point mplayer directly to
the file on your harddisk. If the site finds a way to circumvent this
you may not be able to download for some time, but I belive they would
update in that case.

2. You can clear your /tmp directory before starting and use the only
.flv file in there (I do not know what subdirectory). This wil
continue to work almost no matter what. The files played will have to
be stored on your computer to buffer, right?

Neil

This will dump both the video and audio streams. You can then use ffmpeg or
mencoder to extract just the audio from the file and save it in whatever
format you need (again, depending on what codecs you have installed).

I know of one application that has worked reliably for me to grab .flv files
from web sites that hide the urls - unfortunately it is a Windoze app called
Orbit Downloader. I haven't tried it under Wine yet, nor have I found a Linux
equivalent (not one that works for me, anyway).

Rodney Baker VK5ZTV
rodney.baker@xxxxxxxxxxxx

"My advice to you, my violent friend, is to seek out gold and sit on
it."
-- "Grendel", by John Gardner

--
There are three kinds of people: Those who can count, and those who cannot count