Re: [opensuse] Wireless is off since kernel update
  • From: Herbert Graeber <lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 15 Sep 2008 21:47:24 +0200
Am Montag 15 September 2008 19:20:59 schrieb A. den Oudsten:
David C. Rankin schreef:
A. den Oudsten wrote:
After kernel update yesterday to 2.6.25.16-0.1-default my wireless
connection has gone.
'No wave carrier for eth0'
Which (simple) correction should I make to restore that?
Thanks,
André den Oudsten

Andre`

You lost a kernel module in the kernel upgrade. The quick fix is
to reinstall whatever network card driver package is required. (I
can't guess since you didn't tell us which card you have). You can use
lspci to find your network card chipset and then load the needed
driver. In your case the install provides a needed (*.ko) module that
is now missing. Find the kernel module and find your eth0 you will ;-)

I work with openSUSE 11.0 and my wificard is Atheros AR242x 802.11 abg
Wireless Express Adapter (rev 01)
I tried to install net5211.inl with NDISGTK, but the reaction was 'No
valid driver'.

Never, never use ndiswrapper, execpt ther is really no other working driver.

For the needed *.ko module I have no idea where to search.

Look for a package with a name starting with madwifi-kmp-default-ng (or any
other kernel flavor you need instead of default). This is the same driver like
the one needed for some EEE PCs. I expect this driver to work, but i am not
completely sure. And not forget to blacklist the ath5k driver in
/etc/modprobe.d/blacklist., else you would have two drivers loaded for the
same device.

Good luck
Herbert