Re: [opensuse] opensuse 11 eclipse on x86_64 machine
  • From: "Hugo Garcia" <hgarcia@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 9 Sep 2008 14:06:54 -0600
De : Hugo Garcia [mailto:hgarcia@xxxxxxxxxxxx]

java -version
java version "1.6.0_07"
Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.6.0_07-b06) Java HotSpot(TM)
Client VM (build 10.0-b23, mixed mode)

This is your problem. This jvm is buggy in 64 bit version

Suppostly it got fixed in the latest java version. All 64 bit java
users should download the latest Java SDK, intall it in their home and
mofify thier PATH. That should fix the problem.

I just downloaded the latest version.
java -version
java version "1.6.0_10-rc"
Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.6.0_10-rc-b28)
Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 11.0-b15, mixed mode)

eclipse -vm /home/user/jdk1.6.0_10/bin/java

Seems to be working correctly (at least it starts now).

Hopefully there will be a patch for this eventually. In the meantime I'll
try to setup something up to use this version.

Thanks for the help.

Good

I would also suggest that you download Eclipse from
http://www.eclipse.org/downloads/

You extend Eclipse with plug-ins that get downloaded and install in
your system. One common plugin to get is the Subversion plugin. I do
not know how SuSE handles iupdating Eclipse with new plugins so it
might work or not. Also there is the question of which version of
Eclipse did the SuSE people decide to package? As you can see in the
downloads page... there are several options of "flavors of Eclipse
depending on what you want to do.

Therefore:

I strongly suggest that you DO NOT use the Eclipse that comes with the
distro. Instead download and install the one(s) that you need in your
home dir. For examples, I have the Classic Edition for developing
Plugins and I have the CDT version for doing C/C++ in SEPARATE
directories.

In addition, the updates for Eclipse will come directly from
eclipse.org and by using the downloaded version then you have the
latest version and updates available without much fuzz.

cheers

-H