Re: [opensuse] what is my wireless eth1 doing?
  • From: "John Andersen" <jsamyth@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 8 Sep 2008 23:52:29 -0700
On Mon, Sep 8, 2008 at 11:42 PM, Daniel Bauer <linux@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hello,

I am connected via cable to a router via eth0. I also have a wireless eth1 in
my laptop. When I now look at the graphs of gkrellm it shows me that eth1 is
busy all the time. Usually there is nothing on eth1 when I'm connected by
cable. So how comes I see so much activity there now?

If I switch off wireless with the hardware switch on my laptop the graph also
doesn't show any more traffic, so I'm sure it really shows the wireless
stuff.

I thought, using KnetworkManager the wirless interface would be inactive as
soon as I connect a cable and vice versa?

How can I find out what's going on?

thanks for your hints.

Daniel

Maybe its GKrellm sniffing around out there?

Shut down GKrellm and use ifconfig to see if the TX/RX counts climb.
It could be just looking for wireless netowrks (iwscan or something).