Mailinglist Archive: opensuse (1655 mails)
|< Previous||Next >|
Re: [opensuse] KDE users - What has been your experience with KDE in openSUSE 11.0?
- From: Clayton <smaug42@xxxxxxxxx>
- Date: Mon, 8 Sep 2008 20:44:16 +0200
- Message-id: <e29967880809081144x7f140723sf51258c7bcc5c5de@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
1. Which KDE are you using, v3.x or v4.x?
2. If you are using KDE4, what are your thoughts? Better than KDE3
or Gnome? Worse?
KDE4 is considerably worse than KDE3.x, but still better than Gnome.
3. If you are using KDE4, have you updated to the current v4.1.x
build that is available or are you still using the v4.0.x build that
came with the installation?
I update almost daily to Factory KDE4.1.x.
4. If you have used KDE3 in the past, and are using KDE4 now, do you
feel that it is a good replacement for KDE3? Strengths of KDE4?
In it's current state KDE4.x is NOT a good replacement for KDE3.5.x.
Eventually I would expect it to be, but not for quite some time.
There are way too many little fiddly things not quite right... you
cannot put files on the desktop, you cannot add files correctly to the
Favorites menu, the widget infrastructure is incomplete and often
broken, there are too many missing features. It is not a valid
replacement for KDE3.5 in any way for the average user. For the brave
and experienced, it's fine as long as those using it are OK with it
being a bit of a mess. It is NOT something a new user should be
confronted with, and as much as I like using KDE4.x, it is NOT and
WILL NOT be ready for openSUSE 11.1 (as the sole KDE version). I
fully support where KDE4 is going, but it has such a long way to go
that... well... it's hard some days not to simply install KDE 3.5.9
and be done with it.
5. Do you like the look and feel of KDE in either KDE3 or KDE4? If
not, what would improve it?
I am kind of mixed feelings after several months of using KDE4.x.
KDE3.5 is much much better overall. It works, it's rock solid etc.
KDE4.x is unfinished, unstable, and messy. It is improving, but...
The list of improvements needed is long.. and discussed to death.
To unsubscribe, e-mail: opensuse+unsubscribe@xxxxxxxxxxxx
For additional commands, e-mail: opensuse+help@xxxxxxxxxxxx
|< Previous||Next >|