Re: [opensuse] Re: [opensuse-factory] The KDE way for openSUSE 11.1
  • From: MikeDL <mikedl@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 6 Sep 2008 10:41:37 -0400
Michael Loeffler wrote:
We'll try to put again both KDEs on the media. I'm using "try" as we're
facing space issues but I'm confident that we solve them in a manner
acceptable for all. We probably need to reduce the KDE3 dekstop to
accomplish that.

I installed KDE 4.1 at the same time as 11.0, and starting a month ago became
very happy with it. However, putting a half-baked KDE 4.0 on 11.0 was a
horrible mistake -- it spawned a wave of KDE 4 haters who won't ever be able
to get out of the "KDE 4.x sucks pure and simple" meme.

The packagers need to work something out so the KDE 3 dead-enders can have
separate .iso downloads with a full KDE 3.5.x environment. IMO, partial or
reduced 3.x support will just increase the shouting -- if 3.x is not going to
be done properly and completely, take the hit and drop it entirely.