Re: [opensuse] Joining Windows domain during openSUSE 11.0 install
  • From: Moby <moby@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 01 Sep 2008 21:56:58 -0500

Doug McGarrett wrote:
On Monday 01 September 2008 11:16, Silent Ph03nix wrote:
On Mon, Sep 1, 2008 at 10:04 AM, Roger Oberholtzer <roger@xxxxxx> wrote:
On Mon, 2008-09-01 at 09:54 -0500, Silent Ph03nix wrote:

I will have to see if they are running 2000 or 2003. I want to validate
Linux user logins via the AD server. It is the Linux box itself that I
want the users to have access to with their AD passwords, not other
resources on the network. I cannot track their AD passwords manually,
and they are changing all the time. Currently, they have different
user/password on the Linux box than on the AD box. I am trying to get
away from that.
Understood. In that case you're most likely going to have to get your
IT department involved. We tend to get snippy when people try to do
things on our network without getting us involved. ;-)

Ph03nix

Where I worked (I am retired) the IT department would have come completely
unglued if anyone on the net tried to install Linux. Perhaps if one of the
programmers could have made a case for it, but otherwise. . . .
--doug

I am jumping into this thread a bit late and not sure if I am completely off the mark. If there is any relevance, let me add that I am currently using OpenSuSE machines as member servers in w2k ad w2k3 AD domains fine - users use AD credentials for access to file shares on OSS, for sendmail. for imap/pop3 via Cyrus, etc. All this is achieved mainly via Samba + winbind with appropriate stuff in krb, smb, nsswitch and related configs. If needed, I will more than happy to provide details.

Regards,

--
--Moby

deserve neither liberty nor safety. -- Benjamin Franklin