Re: [opensuse] Joining Windows domain during openSUSE 11.0 install
  • From: Roger Oberholtzer <roger@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 01 Sep 2008 17:23:48 +0200
On Mon, 2008-09-01 at 10:16 -0500, Silent Ph03nix wrote:
On Mon, Sep 1, 2008 at 10:04 AM, Roger Oberholtzer <roger@xxxxxx> wrote:
On Mon, 2008-09-01 at 09:54 -0500, Silent Ph03nix wrote:

I will have to see if they are running 2000 or 2003. I want to validate
Linux user logins via the AD server. It is the Linux box itself that I
want the users to have access to with their AD passwords, not other
resources on the network. I cannot track their AD passwords manually,
and they are changing all the time. Currently, they have different
user/password on the Linux box than on the AD box. I am trying to get
away from that.

Understood. In that case you're most likely going to have to get your
IT department involved. We tend to get snippy when people try to do
things on our network without getting us involved. ;-)

I have just contacted them. Our parent company is very Windows-centric.
Even though they use Novell for file access, and have a site license for
all Novell products. There are only a very few of us 'crazy' Linux users
here. The admins are sympathetic, but prefer not to get involved. I will
have to grovel a bit.

IIRC, I seem to recall that there was some weirdness about how many
times a machine tries to join an AD. When you first attempt to join,
some record is made. If you do not join the right way (as Linux would
for authentication), there was some record on the AD that had to be
deleted before you could try again. Sound familiar? Maybe something like
this has happened. Or I am the victim of rumor. Again...

--
Roger Oberholtzer

OPQ Systems / Ramböll RST

Ramböll Sverige AB
Kapellgränd 7
P.O. Box 4205
SE-102 65 Stockholm, Sweden

Office: Int +46 8-615 60 20
Mobile: Int +46 70-815 1696

And remember:

It is like talking about large city with all constructions finished.
Not impossible, but very unlikely.