Re: [opensuse] openSUSE 11.0 automatic update applet - does it stop running after updating?
  • From: "Michael Roberts" <mrioce@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 17 Aug 2008 02:01:00 +0200
2008/8/1 Michael Roberts <mrioce@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
2008/8/1 Kevin Dupuy <kevin.dupuy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>:
On Fri, 2008-08-01 at 11:25 +0200, Michael Roberts wrote:
OpenSUSE 11.0 with Gnome, on amd x86_64.
When I boot up the system, I see the green or orange sun at the bottom
which is the online update applet.
Once I have inspected and applied the updates, this icon disappears.
On Suse 10.3, it would remain and I could tell it to check again.

I only see this icon again when I reboot and often immediately see new
updates, which makes me think the applet stops running after the first
time it updates anything.

It depends on your settings. [...]

Thanks for that clear answer. I have selected hourly updates for a
while, just so I can see that it really does find updates while the
system is running...

Well I have left the system running for eight days now. There is no
automatic update icon showing.
Checking for System Updates from the Yast Software Management shows
four entries - dnsmasq, PackageKit, postfix, python, of which all
except PackageKit are security updates. I'm saving a draft of this
message so far and will now reboot...

Well immediately after I rebooted, I got the orange sun icon which
showed that updates are present. It is listing one update, which is
the Packagekit update - the one from above which does not involve
security!

So firstly, I definitely think that the automatic update function is
not working on my computer
Secondly, there is no user feedback as to whether or not it is running.
Thirdly, when it does run after a reboot it is offering optional
(albeit "important") updates and omitting serious-looking security
updates.

The Update System overview dialog says "Last refresh: over a week ago,
last update: over a week ago". Does this confirm that the hourly
inspection has not been happening, or is that something else?

I have just checked the Automatic Online Update Setup -Yast dialog in
the rebooted system - and automatic updates are disabled! Despite the
fact that I definitely enabled them as reported above.
Does the automatic update run after a reboot even if it is disabled?

I will enable the functionality once again, to see if I can find out
when it is getting disabled.
How can I check whether the application is in fact running every hour?
Is there a log of the results of the latest requests?
Is there a web page which lists current updates and when they were
made available?

... I always rathe liked to see the green "no updates pending" indication. It
is a sort
of Linux' Security Blanket.

I think I need a Security Blanket!