[opensuse] how to figure out, where is the bottleneck
  • From: "Sebastian Reitenbach" <sebastia@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 12 Aug 2008 18:36:16 +0200
Hi,

I've three subsystems of a complex software architecture running on one host
with 16CPU's, when the system runs under load, top shows me that the load
goes up to 40 and more, but I think a good value should be sth. between 16
and 20, and I have the fear, that the box at some point becomes more busy
with context switching than with the jobs I give to it.
top shows me that at least, the box is not swapping.
The output of iostat tells me, that the problem is not waiting for IO, so
the values there, are not unusually high.

Maybe I've just too many processes running at the same time?
But before I want to touch the system, and make changes, I'd really make
sure I found the bottleneck, at least with the tools mentioned above, I've
no real clue yet.
Any recommendation to other tools, I could run, or files to check, to
monitor the system when it is under high load?

kind regards
Sebastian