Re: [opensuse] No Boot with USB's Plugged
  • From: "Amedee Van Gasse" <amedee@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 9 Aug 2008 11:16:13 +0200 (CEST)
On Thu, August 7, 2008 13:36, Ed Harrison wrote:

In a related problem, when my external USB disk, or any random USB
stick,
is plugged in, then I cannot boot, no valid boot device found.
Unplug all USB devices and it works like a charm.
I alread plugged all USB disks/sticks into an USB hub so I only have to
unplug one cable.

Check your CMOS boot order and see that only a fixed harddrive or CD-ROM
is listed ahead of anything that could describe a usb device.

OK, I did that.
When de USB drive is plugged in, it works perfectly.
But now when the USB drive is not plugged in, I get grub error 17.

I'm really suspicious that Grub has "issues" with detecting the correct
hard disk order.
I had a similar problem with Grub back when I still used Ubuntu. Clean
install from the cd, first boot --> Grub error. And I had only accepted
the setup defaults!
The solution was booting with a Knoppix cd, and manually reinstalling
Grub, or changing something in menu.lst, I don't remember the exact
details.

Is it possible tha Grub has "issues"? Or am I calling it a "bug" too soon
and is it just a problem between keyboard and chair? ;-)

--
Amedee