Re: [opensuse] Re: Email Security question: Hijacked email !!! was: Vista
  • From: "John Andersen" <jsamyth@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 8 Aug 2008 16:32:20 -0700
On Fri, Aug 8, 2008 at 4:19 PM, Jim Henderson <hendersj@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Sat, 09 Aug 2008 00:52:37 +0200, Alexey Eremenko wrote:

I thought GMail would scan for all suspecious emails, and according to
logical something that arrived into my GMail, with "From:
al4321@xxxxxxxxx" - my email address, but
never sent from my account is spoof.

It means, that GMail isn't protected

As Patrick said, it never went through gmail's servers -

And as Alexey said it DID arrive in his Gmail mailbox which, by definition
means it DID go thru Gmail's server: inbound.

Gmail could have alerted Alexey that the mail was spoofed
if the first few received headers didn't indicate a gmail origin.

I'm not sure what good it would do, as no-one else would get this alert
except Alexey, but it seems do-able to me.