[opensuse] Re: Email Security question: Hijacked email !!! was: Vista
  • From: Jim Henderson <hendersj@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 8 Aug 2008 23:19:19 +0000 (UTC)
On Sat, 09 Aug 2008 00:52:37 +0200, Alexey Eremenko wrote:

I thought GMail would scan for all suspecious emails, and according to
logical something that arrived into my GMail, with "From:
al4321@xxxxxxxxx" - my email address, but
never sent from my account is spoof.

It means, that GMail isn't protected

As Patrick said, it never went through gmail's servers - there's nothing
gmail can do about anyone sending a message and spoofing the "from:"
header to say it came from gmail when it didn't.

The same is true of every other e-mail provider on the planet. If I send
a message using sendmail or postfix from my system here and say it's from
Bill Gates using his Microsoft address, Microsoft's mail servers aren't
going to stop that from happening because they're not involved in the
transfer of the message at all.

Jim

--
Jim Henderson