Re: [opensuse] Ddoes anyone know why the updater in the panel insists on installing stuff I don't use>
  • From: "John E. Perry" <j.e.perry@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 06 Aug 2008 17:42:41 -0400

No. I'd rather not have to install support for hardware I can't use
on a particular machine. Since I'm not a programming, I have no idea
how those libraries work.

You now know how (many or most of) the dependencies come about.

I just don't understand why someone would
program in a hardware dependency in a program in order to add a
possible functionality to that program. In SaX's case, the i915
chipset support isn't a big deal, but when you are installing support
for ISDN, 1394, SCSI, bluetooth, irda, etc, it gets to be a bit
ridiculous. ...

The point is not the hardware support, it's that the ISDN, 1394, etc.
support libraries have really useful modules inside them that the (USB,
keyboard, wifi, ...) developers wanted to use for their own purposes.
They had the choice of including the ISDN and 1394 libraries or rolling
their own.

Or, yes, they could have dug into the libraries and extracted and
adapted the modules they needed. But then they -- and you -- lose the
maintenance that's continually done on deeper library files.

The question you pose suggest that the alternative to bogus dependencies
is to get rid of packages all together.
That is not at all true, and you know it.

(this was actually from John Anderson in response to me...)

I never said to get rid of the packages. I would just like to see
more devs consider what people will actually use before forcing a
dependency. ...

Maybe some will when they see this discussion. Personally, I wouldn't
if I were a linux developer. There are lots of more important things
you (and I) are complaining about, and they have to set priorities too
-- which have to include their personal lives :-).

Since it's apparent that you and John are intent on dismissing my point
of view, and I can't think of anything to say better than I've already
said it, this will end my participation in this thread.

John Perry