Re: [opensuse] Ddoes anyone know why the updater in the panel insists on installing stuff I don't use>
  • From: "John Andersen" <jsamyth@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 6 Aug 2008 13:35:43 -0700
That's because it is probably already installed because it was a
dependency for something or other. I've been frustrated by this for
years having to install support for stuff I don't have like ISDN,
bluetooth, palm utilities, etc. Heck, SaX even has a dependency for
the intel 915 chipset, which was never available on a mac. When you
get right down to it, it's not just openSUSE's devs. It also has to
do with the dependencies that the authors feel the need to impose.

So tell me, Larry, would you really rather have tens to hundreds of
thousands of individual library files to find and choose from when
you're installing or developing software, or hundreds of packages, each
containing dozens to hundreds of library files, most of which you
probably don't need for a particular application? And may not need for
any application you will use?

John Perry

The question you pose suggest that the alternative to bogus dependencies
is to get rid of packages all together.

That is not at all true, and you know it.