Re: [opensuse] Turning off OpenSSH password authenication
  • From: James Knott <james.knott@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 03 Aug 2008 18:57:13 -0400
Anders Johansson wrote:
On Sunday 03 August 2008 19:57:25 James Knott wrote:
I've updated my firewall to OpenSUSE v11.0. I'm trying to disable
password authentication, without much luck. I've set
passwordauthenitication to no in sshd_config, but I can still log in
using a password. Is there something I'm missing, as this used to be
simple to do.

Don't forget to set ChallengeResponseAuthentication to "no"

That seems to have done the trick. However, it wasn't necessary in the previous firewall, using SUSE 10.0. In that one I just had to set passwordauthentication to no (I verified that with the backup copy of sshd_config.). Also, even disabling passwords using Yast SSHD config doesn't seem to affect that challengeresponse setting. Is this a bug somewhere. Now, I can reopen ssh in the firewall.

tnx jk