Re: [opensuse] Console login before x login
  • From: "Rajko M." <rmatov101@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 2 Aug 2008 13:45:54 -0500
That's weird - so there's nothing on your virtual consoles? Check that
you have something like in your /etc/inittab - I can't think of why you
wouldn't, but ...

# getty-programs for the normal runlevels
# The "id" field MUST be the same as the last
# characters of the device (after "tty").
1:2345:respawn:/sbin/mingetty --noclear tty1
2:2345:respawn:/sbin/mingetty tty2
3:2345:respawn:/sbin/mingetty tty3
4:2345:respawn:/sbin/mingetty tty4
5:2345:respawn:/sbin/mingetty tty5
6:2345:respawn:/sbin/mingetty tty6

I don't have an 11.0 system with GUI, so I can't check, but surely
somebody does.

I'm using 11.0 with kde3.5 (occasionally I check out kde4, but have to
return to 3.5 for real work), and mine is identical to yours, Per.
There are a couple of lines after that with SO and cons in the <id>
fields, but they're commented out.

l0:0:wait:/etc/init.d/rc 0
l1:1:wait:/etc/init.d/rc 1
l2:2:wait:/etc/init.d/rc 2
l3:3:wait:/etc/init.d/rc 3
#l4:4:wait:/etc/init.d/rc 4
l5:5:wait:/etc/init.d/rc 5
l6:6:wait:/etc/init.d/rc 6

Although, I guess that is something else culprit.
I just turned off autologin in YaST Users, button Expert, and rebooted
computer. On login screen I pressed Ctrl-Alt-F1 and got text terminal.
That is actually xorg that should catch that shortcut, but it can be disabled
within xorg.conf:

Xorg(1)
Ctrl+Alt+F1...F12
For BSD and Linux systems with virtual terminal support, these keystroke
combinations are used to switch to virtual terminals 1 through 12,
respectively. This can be disabled with the DontVTSwitch xorg.conf(5) file
option.

I would also look in:
/etc/sysconfig/displaymanager

--