Re: [opensuse] man pages and PDF
  • From: Randall R Schulz <rschulz@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 1 Aug 2008 08:08:23 -0700
On Friday 01 August 2008 02:59, Carlos E. R. wrote:
The Thursday 2008-07-31 at 21:04 -0700, Kurt Wall wrote:
that has built-in display Postscript (I'm thinking NEXT, here). For
the rest of us mere mortals, man is fine. It will work on the most
primitive 80x25 teletype display. Good luck with viewing PDFs or
Postscript out on that same 80x25 TTY.

mc displays pdf as plain text. Imperfectly, but it does

However, I would not like man pages to be pdfs: for instance,
"apropos" would fail or be terribly slow.

Clearly PDF would not be the sole or even a primary format, but just one
of the available ones.

Clearly man pages still need to be authored and maintained, and unless
someone's going to create, say, a TeX reimplementation of the man
macros for troff and reformulate all those man macro-based source
files, the current originals will continue to be the primary source
format for man documentation indefinitely.

--
Cheers,
Carlos E. R.

Randall Schulz