Re: [opensuse] HPET and SuSE 10.3
  • From: Anders Johansson <ajohansson@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 26 Jul 2008 21:40:34 +0200
On Saturday 26 July 2008 20:44:22 Clive Rogers wrote:
Anders,

On Saturday 26 July 2008 19:24:34 Anders Johansson wrote:
On Saturday 26 July 2008 20:08:54 Clive Rogers wrote:
Hi All,

I have followed and implemented the postings of lockups on this distro
and number 11 and still I suffer from some form of lockup.
Running an AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 4800+ with 2 gig of
memory. 2 IDE hard drives, 1 IDE DVD-RW and 1 SATA DVD-RW. All this
is on an ASUS M2V-MX motherboard. Running the Default Kernel
2.6.22.18-0.2.

After Googling and reading the post here and still getting the lockups
I thought maybe its something to do with the HPET which my other PC has
in the bios and Vista won't run properly without it. I read on
Wikipedia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HPET

that the Kernel of 2.6 also requires the HPET to be turned on in the
bios.

No, it says it *can* use HPET, if present

I don't think your lockups have anything to do with that.

The last post from you about a lockup that I can see on this list ("Open
SuSE 10.3 still locking up") said that the system wasn't in fact locking
up. You just lost keyboard & mouse.

Is that still the case?

Anders

Most times yes. I get the mouse movement for a while then the clock
(bottom right) stops for around 3-5 mins or so. Then everything works fine
for a while.

Sometimes the system is locked up tight and I have to press reset.
I can find nothing in the logs to point to anything. While the
system "seems" locked mail is still downloaded and the hard drive will
light up.

OK, so it seems your system is busy working on something.

Do you by any chance have a second system you could use, to ssh into this one,
to see what exactly is going on?

Anders