Re: [opensuse] T42p freezes after bootup with openSUSE11.0
  • From: "John Andersen" <jsamyth@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 14 Jul 2008 12:07:37 -0700
On Mon, Jul 14, 2008 at 11:31 AM, J Sloan <joe@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
John Andersen wrote:

On Mon, Jul 14, 2008 at 10:39 AM, J Sloan <joe@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Not really - in this case, the original author did not want those
extensions
added, but the power of open source is that they could be added anyway.
But
the fact is, even though the code was open, nobody understood reiserfs as
well as the folks who designed it.

The original author didn't want a lot of things, (including letting
his wife live), but mostly because he had plans for reiserfs4.

Well, I'm not going to debate his sainthood here, but yes, he was focused on
v4.

noatime has been there for a long time, but its only really useful in
laptops, where
it kept the disk spinning and interfered with power saving. On server
class machines
there is no reason to specify noatime.

Sure there is. Think about it. with atime enabled: Every time you read from
disk, you write to disk and update the atime field of all affected files.
Every time you read from the disk cache, guess what? you write to disk and
update the atime of all affected files. That's a performance hit, and a
scalability bottleneck.

That feature has been in almost every nix filesystem for a long long time.
Its your audit trail. It has its uses. (File aging among them).

Yes its a minor performance hit. When I say minor, I mean the average user
will not see a difference with it on or off. Try it and see.

Its not as big a performance hit as you suggest because its just a directory
write, which is already in memory and will be handled by the write-thru logic.
Its not that big of a scalability issue either, because its done in the server
hosting the file.

Really, its been there since dirt. It only became desirable to turn it off
with slow laptops operating on battery.

Notail is a performance enhancement and its presence or absence does
not cause lockups.

Nobody that I know of has ever said that the notail option, or lack of it,
caused lockups.

I thought thats what this thread was about. Did I misread the thread subject?