Re: [opensuse] How do I get new users to show up on the graphical login screen?
  • From: "John E. Perry" <j.e.perry@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 09 Jul 2008 21:37:50 -0400
Carlos E. R. wrote:

Can you log in as those hidden names? Maybe they have to be listed
somewhere to be shown in the greeter (is that the name?). This is new to
me.

Yes, by going to a text console I could log in as all users. I tried
this, then rckmd restart, and nothing changed.

Don Raboud wrote:
You might try

YaST -> System -> /etc/sysconfig Editor

Then under 'Display Manager' there are a couple of things to look at.

KDM_USERS

Progress! I'm up to five users. Curiously, the missing users are in
the middle of the string. It didn't select the last five or the first
five; it skipped over the third and fourth users in the string.

You might also test changing the DISPLAYMANAGER_KDM_THEME to blank, just to
see...

I made this a separate step, because it said this would set it back to
the default theme, which lacked some features. When the previous change
only got me up to five users, I tried this, which gave me a screen I
don't remember ever seeing before, but which gave me a scrolling list
with all my users. So it's all good now, except possibly some missing
function. I wonder what features might be missing.

Hope this helps.

It certainly did. Thanks a lot, Don.

jp