Re: [opensuse] Screwed up big time
  • From: Bob S <911@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 4 Jul 2008 20:50:16 -0400

I guess I have ruined it. Nothing on it to be seen, Any way to bring this
new drive back to life?

Well, you deleted the partitions, so there is nothing to see. Once you
recreate the partitions you will see them again; just untick in the yast
partitioner (in options, I think) for not to mount at boot time. Select
also "mount by label" and give each partition a name.

In the case of usb, you can also _not_ make entries for the drive in the
fstab file: in this case, you have to activate them in kde when plugged.

Carlos, and any or all other knowledeable compatriots,

As you can see in the other response I have recovered the partitions. But, I
still have the problem of not being able to boot without the drive being
plugged in. I did select the option to NOT mount at boot time, and I did
assign Volume labels for each partition. Because of that it made entries in
fstab.

Can I just delete those entries from fstab so that it will boot without the
drive being plugged in? The drive works as expected on my 10.0 OS. bringing
up the "Device Found" windows which I can open and see.

Bob S