Re: [opensuse] ODF files on SMB/CIFS share
  • From: G T Smith <grahamsmith@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 03 Jul 2008 09:24:51 +0100

Manne Merak wrote:
Joe Morris wrote:
On 07/03/2008 01:38 AM, Manne Merak wrote:
Well, I did n bit of Googling and, like most great ideas :), there is a
solution out there.
http://www.ricardis.tudelft.nl/~vincent/fusesmb/
It describes almost exactly what I want. Will try it out tonight.

Manne

Tried this some time ago and the performance was pretty poor. Spends a
significant amount of time authenticating and not a lot of time on
servicing files which is BTW the major issue with the approach that you
describe, each request for a resource requires an authentication request
(whether or not authentication is actually required). It is an extremely
inefficient way of doing things. If you have a very small legacy
workgroup it may be useful but it essentially does the same thing as
cifs but slower.

They may have improved things since...

- --
telephone.