Re: [opensuse] ODF files on SMB/CIFS share
  • From: "David C. Rankin" <drankinatty@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 02 Jul 2008 11:44:45 -0500
Manne Merak wrote:

Well, OO 2.4 (not sure about previous versions) does exactly this - it parses hyperlinks and translates \\server\share\file to smb://server/share/file on and then back to when saving the sheet as XLS (well there is a bug still open on it, but the developer is on it as I type).
But again this is way beyond what OO should be worried about - no wonder its getting bloated.

Manne

That's where the beauty of mounting the shares is the best solution. OO sees the files as part of the local file system, and it works the same in a mixed environment. As long as the links are to files that are on the mounted filesystem, there should be no difference in files on the cifs mount or local files.

In fact comparing, "map drive" in windows to the mount.cifs on a linux client work equally well. We run a mixed network with 5 windows clients for every linux client and all both clients are able to access files that reside on the 10.3 server, including following links from spreadsheets to the original source documents for the data. We haven't run into any problems with any file access for the past 8 years. The only change over that course of time has been the move from smbmount to mount.cifs.

The only thing I can think of is some strange oplock behavior for your setup. You might try updating the samba/cifs package to see of that help. You can simply add the samba repositories and get the stable release for opensuse from the samba folks that is generally 4-8 releases ahead of the opensuse package:

for 10.3, just add the repository to yast/zypper;

http://us1.samba.org/samba/ftp/Binary_Packages/SuSE/3.0/10.3/

for 11.0

http://us1.samba.org/samba/ftp/Binary_Packages/SuSE/3.0/11.0/

--