Re: [opensuse] Wireless connection issue
  • From: Simon Roberts <thorpflyer@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 2 Jul 2008 08:16:47 -0700 (PDT)
----- Original Message ----

From: Ed Harrison <ed.harrison@xxxxxxxxxxx>
I travel a lot for my work, and I've noticed many times that Linux
wireless
networking often doesn't connect to the networks that I'm offered in
hotels.

I'm pretty sure (call me cynical, but...) that this is an issue with
micro$oft
base stations that expect a little bit of non-standard protocol. Since
windoze adopts (creates?) that protocol, it all works for them, so nobody
recognizes a problem.

Does Microsoft make WiFi base stations, as would be used in a business?
Actually, I'd suspect the problem lies with the authentication server,
where
you
have to log in to get to the internet. It's entirely possible that it is
using
something that's available in IE or Windows. I have never experienced
such
an
issue anywhere I've used my computers, such as coffee shops, the library
etc.

Is your problem that you can't get a WiFi connection? Or you can't get
beyond
authentication?

It might well be an authentication issue. I know networking quite well
generally
but don't really know anything about wireless specifically. So far as I
remember
though, these are always open networks (no key, not authentication
required).
And yes, my firewall is turned on!

I'll admit I'm amazed you've never seen this. I have it about 20~30% of the
time.
It's happened with every Linux I've tried to use on a laptop with wireless
(9.1,
10.1, and 10.3 I think) Maybe I'm just special!

Here's what typically happens.

1) Network applet sees the access point, and I select it.

2) Network applet spins for a while, then gives up. I can repeat steps 1
and 2
as
much as I like, and nothing will change.

3) I reboot into windoze, it connects as soon as I ask it to.

4) I reboot into Linux, and often it will then connect successfully.

Unfortunately, the place I'm in today, step 4 isn't working :(

I used to suspect the networks were just overcrowded, but so far I've
_never_
had
it fail to connect in the dreaded windoze :(

I have had similar problems with hotels. Are you ever instructed to
open your browser, where it goes to some hotel portal? You enter your
room number, then it connects. Just a thought.

Sometimes I find that, but in this case--as is most common for me--it never
actually connects at all.

Certainly I've found several hotels that require me to do a web-based "login"
and those often insist on using IE. What bloody-mindedness is that eh?

But my situation is most commonly that the wireless connection never
completes at all.

Any more thoughts?

Thanks all,
Simon