[opensuse] Re: badblocks question
  • From: Jim Henderson <hendersj@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 29 Jun 2008 20:34:53 +0000 (UTC)
On Sun, 29 Jun 2008 21:56:35 +0200, Carlos E. R. wrote:

It's about 400,000 files in total. Ouch, that'll take a while.

Yep. Well, actually you did that, in a way... you were trying to copy
the data elsewere and it failed.

Yeah. I think in the end the drive just overheated.

As I mentioned to Larry, doesn't seem to matter now, as it seems the
drive has had some sort of physical malfunction. I managed to get only
about 67 GB copied off of it before it croaked.

It could be the firmware trying to relocate bad sectors, going back and
forth between two remote disk tracks, and that sounds like "clicks". Who
knows!

Very possible. It just seems to be cycling that now. I'll probably hit
the drive with a bulk eraser I've got somewhere in the basement before
disposing of it. In the end, it was about 126 GB of space that was
unreadable before it took the final crash.

Well, ultimately that woudl be the ideal solution, but at that point, I
didn't have another drive. But payday was Friday, so I now have a
replacement drive, unfortunately just a little too late to pull all the
data off the drive.

Yes, a pity.

Fortunately, one set of files I knew I'd have difficulty replacing did
make it (not to the new drive, but to an internal drive on the system),
so it's not a total loss.

You can run smart tests on it and learn something.

Yeah, that at least should help prevent another failure.

Two drives... double the failure rate, at least :-(

Yeah, or at least twice the opportunity for a failure. New drive is a
single drive, so hopefully that won't be an issue on it. A little
concerned at how hot it seems to run, though.

Jim

--
Jim Henderson