Re: [opensuse] Re: badblocks question
  • From: "Carlos E. R." <robin.listas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 29 Jun 2008 21:56:35 +0200 (CEST)

The Sunday 2008-06-29 at 19:14 -0000, Jim Henderson wrote:

An alternative is to read every file till it fails, then delete and
replace the file.

It's about 400,000 files in total. Ouch, that'll take a while.

Yep. Well, actually you did that, in a way... you were trying to copy the data elsewere and it failed.

As I mentioned to Larry, doesn't seem to matter now, as it seems the
drive has had some sort of physical malfunction. I managed to get only
about 67 GB copied off of it before it croaked.

It could be the firmware trying to relocate bad sectors, going back and forth between two remote disk tracks, and that sounds like "clicks". Who knows!

I knew I needed a clean-out, but this isn't what I had in mind. :-(

No, certainly not.

2. Suggestion was made that I could maybe re-zero the drive to revive
things. Could I just zero those blocks in the same way, and if so,
how?

Better copy everything somewhere else, and then overwrite the entire
drive, and reformat it. The overwriting on normal disks triggers the bad
sector remapping, but I don't know about usb enclosures. I suppose it
happens, the only thing is that you can't interrogate the chipset about
it.

Well, ultimately that woudl be the ideal solution, but at that point, I
didn't have another drive. But payday was Friday, so I now have a
replacement drive, unfortunately just a little too late to pull all the
data off the drive.

Yes, a pity.

What I'll probably end up doing is disassembling the unit and hooking the
drives up to an IDE/SATA interface (depending on what it is internally)
to see if there's any chance of recovering anything. Given it's two
drives, it's probably just one that's failed, but it'll depend on how the
data spans the drives as to whether or not that'll work. But I should be
able to interrogate the electronics for the failure in any event.

You can run smart tests on it and learn something.

Two drives... double the failure rate, at least :-(

- -- Cheers,
Carlos E. R.