Re: [opensuse] Problems burning DVDs
  • From: G T Smith <grahamsmith@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 29 Jun 2008 11:24:02 +0100

Clayton wrote:
I posted earlier about problems burning DVDs and the problem is still
there. This has been an issue in openSUSE 11.0 and in Kubuntu 8.04 as
well... so I don't think that it is an OS specific problem... but
whatever it is, I haven't yet resolved it and I could use a little
nudge in the right direction.

<snip>

:-[ WRITE@LBA=22e30h failed with SK=4h/LOGICAL UNIT COMMUNICATION CRC
ERROR (ULTRA-DMA/32)]: Input/output error
:-( write failed: Input/output error
/dev/sr0: flushing cache

growisofs command:
-----------------------
/usr/bin/X11/growisofs -Z /dev/sr0=/dev/fd/0
-use-the-force-luke=notray -use-the-force-luke=tty
-use-the-force-luke=tracksize:2247132 -use-the-force-luke=dao:2247132
-dvd-compat -speed=6 -use-the-force-luke=bufsize:32m

Unfortunately some of the growisofs error message is missing. But the
probable error is 04:08:03 (see below). However the SK=04 group of
errors includes a couple of other things (including a cleaning request).
I would run growisofs at the CLI to confirm this is indeed the error. It
looks like the command is using the largely undocumented
use-the-force-luke options (which personally I would avoid).

The command...

growisofs -dvd-compat -Z <device name>=<iso file>

Is simple and nearly always foolproof. The CLI is not always the
complicated way of doing things. Use k3b to create an image but using
the above to burn is lot less problematic approach.

First suspect for this error would be cable before you made other
changes, second would be controller or drive itself. You have eliminated
the drive so cable is next then mobo/controller, the memory suggestion I
think is a misdirection in this case.

DVD and Growisofs error codes can be found at...

http://www.infinadyne.com/ErrorCodes.html

and

http://pcburn.com/article.php?sid=2127

- --