Re: [opensuse] Differences between a file server and a shared folder
On Saturday 28 June 2008 09:48:47 am Bogdan Cristea wrote:

So I wonder what exactly you want to compare with. NFS perhaps?

I don't want to compare different file systems.
It was only a question of terminology: why to call a machine running
Windows Server file server, while a Windows XP machine sharing folders
could do the same thing.

Windows has a server?

Since when? :P

A client sharing a folder is set to use the permissions on just that client.
It cannot set global permissions for the whole network (domain) whereas a
file server typically is set as a resource on the domain and given
instructions to share folders based on domain permissions.

Also, a file server typically is a beefier machine than a desktop.

kai || ||