Re: [opensuse] Differences between a file server and a shared folder
  • From: Bogdan Cristea <cristeab@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 28 Jun 2008 19:48:47 +0300
On Saturday 28 June 2008 17:26:21 Anders Johansson wrote:
On Saturday 28 June 2008 15:58:06 Bogdan Cristea wrote:
I would like to have an expert opinion about the differences
between a file server and a shared folder.
My particular situation: I have a Windows server with one folder
shared which also does a safety back-up to a second hard-disk each
time someone copyies something into the shared folder. However I don't
see much difference with respect to a simple shared folder (in Windows
or Linux).
Perhaps someone could explain what are the advantages (if any) of
using a file server.

The word server properly only refers to the service provided, not to any
kind of machinery. So your "shared folder" is a file server, as it serves
files.

So I wonder what exactly you want to compare with. NFS perhaps?

Anders

I don't want to compare different file systems.
It was only a question of terminology: why to call a machine running
Windows Server file server, while a Windows XP machine sharing folders could
do the same thing.

--
Bogdan Cristea
http://cristeab.googlepages.com