Re: [opensuse] where do my rpm files go?
  • From: Mohit Verma <mohit.verma.in@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 24 Jun 2008 18:25:09 +0530
Henne Vogelsang wrote:
Hi,

On Tuesday, June 24, 2008 at 18:16:45, Mohit Verma wrote:
Henne Vogelsang wrote:
On Tuesday, June 24, 2008 at 15:43:40, Mohit Verma wrote:
CyberOrg wrote:
On Tue, Jun 24, 2008 at 3:14 PM, Mohit Verma <mohit.verma.in@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
i have been using suse for a while but i hadn't been bothered about this
before... can some tell me where do all the rpm files go when i install
files through yast. and is there a way to create a backup for them...?
Add a repository with -k option, like this:

zypper sa -k http://www.opensuse-education.org/download/repo/1.0/11.0/ edu

The rpms would remain in /var/cache/zypp even after installation.
so unless i don't use -k , my rpm packages aren't saved on my computer? is there anyway i can recover the packages i have already installed?
You have the files on disk. So save what is there. If you really need
packages instead of files you can try a tool like rpmrebuild. Its on
11.0

what files on the disk are you referring to? how can i create a backup of all the softwares installed without using the rpm files?

An rpm is a container with files in it (plus more). So if i install
blah.rpm and this add the programm /usr/bin/blah to my system i can
backup /usr/bin/blah without having to worry about the rpm right? Thats
what im saying.

Henne

yeah i got the rpm being a container part and that the thing gets installed somewhere (/usr/bin, /bin, /etc etc...) but don't you think it'll be cumbersome to find all the places where my softwares get installed and then back them up. see whats the point of using rpm then?

thats why i want the rpm packages to be backed up rather than the installed files.
mohit