Re: [opensuse] Problem with grub updating 10.3 -> 11.0
  • From: Guillermo Ballester Valor <gbv@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 19 Jun 2008 17:23:36 +0000
Joe,

El Thursday 19 June 2008 16:52:17 Joe Sloan escribió:
Guillermo Ballester Valor wrote:
Hello,

I've updated a system of mine at work from 10.3 to 11.0, i386. Spanish
language.

All gone well till the boot loader instalation. It said it could not
install it. I've also observed it didn't created any entry for my
pre-existing windows XP partition.

So when I tried to reboot it didn't work. I've tried repair system and
some other tricks but nothing worked. :(

Finally the only way to boot was to set manually the boot options in the
starting window. I changed the 'vmlinuz-xxxxxx' and 'initrd-xxxxxx' by
just 'vmlinuz' and 'initrd' . Here xxxxxx was the old kernel I had
installed with old 10.3.

Fortunately it worked, but I would like to know if I am the only person
with these problems. I've installed a lot of SuSE OS in a lot of systems
and this is the first time I had serious problems to boot after update.

I installed 11.0 on a box that has several distros on it. The install
went fine, but on the first boot after the install, the machine was
stuck at the bios screen, after choosing to boot suse 11. Very odd. I
booted with the dvd and did a rescue, repairing the grub install, and
afterwards it booted OK.

In my case I couldn't repair the grub with the 'repair system'. And as I said,
the yast2 boot loader module doesn't work.

I chalked it up to a fluke with my hardware, but after reading your
account, maybe there is more to it.

May be, who knows.

Guillermo

Joe