Re: [opensuse] K3B DVD Question
  • From: Basil Chupin <blchupin@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 17 Jun 2008 10:55:38 +1000
Donald D Henson wrote:
Basil Chupin wrote:

[pruned]

A few questions.

Are you by any chance trying to insert a blank DVD which you/someone tried to burn already but the burn failed? If so then if you try to use it again it won't be recognised as a blank disc and you will asked to insert a blank DVD.

Anything's possible but I don't think so.

In K3B go to the Settings/Configure K3B/Devices and look to see if you have the drives correctly recognised.

Only one drive recognized even though two drives are listed in Hardware Info.

I am most puzzled..... hardware info is showing 2 drives but K3B recognises only 1?

Have you tried ADDing or REFRESHing the Devices setting in Configure K3B for the DVD writer?

Finally, the CD/DVD burner is not just for burning- it is also used for playback of both audio CDs and DVDs. Have you tried playing a DVD which you know 'works' using the burner? If this last one fails then you may either have a dirty lens on that drive or the drive has gone to the place where all dead drives go and you need to bury it.

Looks like you're on to something. My "player" drive plays anything I stick in it. My "burner" drive won't play nor burn anything, CDs nor DVDs. Since it was working earlier and we have cats, I'll try cleaning it before burying it. Sometimes it actually is the hardware.

The question here, of course is: while K3B is not recognising the burner, does the burner actually spin up when you insert a disc in it (without K3B running)? That is, when you insert a disc in it does the "I'm ready to work" [ :-) ]" pilot light come on? In other words :-) does the burner react to anything or is it DEAD? If it's dead then you won't be able to clean the laser.

You said earlier that the burner was working before. What have you done in the meantime which may have made it cease working? Have you opened the box and did some maintenance, or whatever?

Ciao.