Re: Thick brick walls was Re: [opensuse] wireless doesn't work in suse 11 RC1
  • From: "Larry Stotler" <larrystotler@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 16 Jun 2008 13:18:30 -0400
On Mon, Jun 16, 2008 at 4:54 AM, Tom <tom.axehult@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
My wlan device is a USB dongle, a Fujitsu-Siemens E5400. It has behaved
reasonably well under OS 10.2 and OS 10.3 but not under 11.0RC1.
This dongle is not state of the art but its advantage is that I can control
propagation through the thick brick walls in my house by sliding the thing
over the lamp above the desktop.

Yeah, I like having an actual antenna I can point for times like that.
That's why i don't recommend a PCI wireless for a desktop. Talk
about dropping signal. Set it on the floor with the back to a corner
and you lose about 40-50% immediately.

In 11.0RC1 I can ping my router, but I cannnot get onto the internet. We see
that a secondary
ip assigned, a new HOSTNAME and ifdown/ifup no longer works.

ifup/ifdown are not allowed if you are using NetworkManager. If you
go into YaST's Network Settings, you can change it to "Traditional
method with ifup" Look under "Global settings"

1. Why a new hostname and a new ipaddress ?
2. How do I make the DNS servers 213.163.128.185, 213.142.0.242 the
preferred ones ?

To set your hostname, you have to select the Hostname/DNS option.
This will allow you to turn off DHCP and setup your config manually.

Good luck.