Re: [opensuse] Re: Beagle eats my CPU
  • From: Evens Garde <evans.garde@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 10 Jun 2008 03:29:09 -0400
Jim Henderson wrote:
On Fri, 06 Jun 2008 15:58:52 -0400, Evans Garde wrote:

John Andersen wrote:
On Fri, Jun 6, 2008 at 11:45 AM, Larry Stotler
<larrystotler@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Just my 2 cents, but I also find absolutely no point in Beagle. While
it may be convient if you have 1000+ documents, with what little most
people do, there's no point in it. I make sure it's not installed on
any system I do.
Worse than that Larry, if you have a small amount of documents its not
needed, but if you have 20 years of business records on line it will
kill you machine.

When you need it, it won't work.
Essentially, if you need beagle, you have to devote a whole server to
it. double-plus-ungood.

I don't find this to be the case. I use it occasionally (not regularly), and I do find performance issues resulting from the indexer (and often have to kill many beagle-helper processes that just pile up), but I find with the number of IMs I have (I use pidgin heavily for work) and the sheer number of documents I have, it does the job OK enough for me. When ti really starts to take over the system, I nuke it.

Having it not search remote filesystems helps *a lot*..

I don't have ANY remote filesystems, and it's still a dog.

Jim