Re: [opensuse] Spam and this and other mailing lists
  • From: John <john_82@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 5 Jun 2008 18:25:24 +0100
On Thursday 05 June 2008 15:21:51 Henne Vogelsang wrote:
Hi,

On Thursday, June 05, 2008 at 14:47:53, John wrote:
On Thursday 05 June 2008 14:27:38 Henne Vogelsang wrote:
On Thursday, June 05, 2008 at 12:32:28, John wrote:
My biggets concern though is that there are obviously email address
collection bots / people kicking about on lists and even changing
reply to etc doesn't defeat them as the originators email address is
still buried in the source.

Setting an Reply-To is not obfuscating any other address in the mail
so i dont know how you would defeat address collection with this.

That is exactly what I have just said. The originators email address is
always in the emails source code.

Why isn't it all stripped out by the lists server?

What exactly do you mean with "all"?

If the server took the title, message and attachments and then repackaged
them in a mail sent by itself and with "reply to" also set to itself the
originators email address would not be in the email source. The tracking
information wouldn't be either.

This would mean a complete anonymus mailinglist. This is certainly an
option, but not a very good one i think. Because it takes out the social
part of this excercise completely.
The list would not be anonymous to who ever runs it only to the users. In
anycase so and so @ some company or isp etc doesn't guarantee anything in
that respect at all.

:) eg My real name is tony blair @ uk.gov and I think it's time some thing
was done about it.

In general obfuscation cant be the answer to things like SPAM. This is
way to highlevel.
It isn't obfuscation it's removal. Then it would be the same as the service
most forums offer. Only trouble with forums is that they often don't produce
and answer to a specific questions in a reasonable time if at all. Lists
sometimes do.

You might wonder why I would suggest removing the tracking information
too. I do not think it would be wise to elaborate on that on this or any
other list. It can be seriously abused. It is sometimes too.

You are overestimating the amount of work spammers are willing to put
into collecting 1300 addresses :)
The people who make use of the tracking info in the email aren't spammers.
They are into other things. Some times malicious things.

Henne

--
Henne Vogelsang, openSUSE.
- Mike Tyson