Re: [opensuse] Mozilla certainly has an apetite for memory...
  • From: Wolfgang Rosenauer <wolfgang@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 04 Jun 2008 09:01:51 +0200
Carlos E. R. wrote:

My feeling is that FF is leaving holes of memory freed that can not be reused. The window is closed, the memory is freed, somehow, but maybe it is fragmented or something and it can not be given back to the OS or reused. Something like that, I don't know that much about Linux memory management.

That's not just your feeling but one of the main causes for the memory
usage of Firefox prior to version 3.

Firefox 3 fixes many things causing that behaviour.
I suggest
http://blog.pavlov.net/2008/03/11/firefox-3-memory-usage/

Wolfgang