Re: [opensuse] cups help needed
  • From: "John Andersen" <jsamyth@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 21 May 2008 16:36:14 -0700
On Wed, May 21, 2008 at 4:27 PM, Bob S <911@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hello SuSE people,

I installed 10.3 on my son's computeerr today. He finally got sick of windoze.
All is well except for his printer. It is an MFC3420C. One of those all in
one things and is a couple of years old. Went to brother site and downloaded
the driver and a cupswrapper and installed them successfully.

Followed the install instructions carefully and can see the printer in
localhost:631. cups is not seeing the printer I guess because it is not
printing.

However, the install instructions say I must add the user and password to
cups. Here is part of the install instruction and am not sure that is
required to make it work.
-----------------------
Note for SuSE Users:
If you are using a later version of SuSE than version 9.0, set the password
for CUPS using the lppasswd command:#lppasswd -g sys -a root
This requires you to enter a password that is used specifically for CUPS
administration.

Quote:
set the password for CUPS using the lppasswd command:#lppasswd -g sys -a root

So open a shell, or hit CTRL-ALT-F2 (or something) and log in as root.
Then tyoe the command
lppasswd -g sys -a root