Re: [opensuse] SATA PCI card
  • From: Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 16 May 2008 11:37:25 +0200
David C. Rankin wrote:

I just purchased and installed a Promise SATA300 TX4 4 port 3.0G sata
controller. I installed the thing in an older MSI km2m motherboard and
stuck 2 500G Samsung drives on it, configured it for software RAID1,
formatted and I was done.

The one problem with that hardware is that the linux driver
(originally for RedHat and SuSE 9.3) is out of date and will not
compile on 10.3 so you are limited to the performance of the default
promise driver which is good ATA performance, but not the improved
SATA performance. But for $65, I'm not complaining.

I wonder why Promise isn't updating those drivers? Seems like they've
been left in the dark.

/Per Jessen, Z├╝rich