Re: [opensuse] KMail
  • From: Richard Creighton <rccj@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 15 May 2008 13:40:43 -0400
On Thursday 15 May 2008 12:16:56 pm Ken Schneider wrote:
Richard Creighton pecked at the keyboard and wrote:
Hi all,

Now for the real problem that remains and it doesn't involve PMMail at
all, only KMail (or perhaps FireFox). Anytime she presses a URL in an
EMAIL message to launch FireFox, it correctly does this EXCEPT that it
launches it in the SAME WINDOW as KMAIL.... EVEN IF FIREFOX is ALREADY
RUNNING in another window. If FF is already running, it 'steals' that
session and moves it from whatever session window it was in to the
session window that KMail is open in. In order to get it back, she has
to move FFox to the original desktop window manually. As she often is
using several desktops for various applications, browser, mail, editing
documents, etc., it is disconcerting to have her browser 'jump' to her
mail desktop.

I have looked for and cannot find a way to prevent this behavior. TBird
DOES NOT do this, So far, only KMail 'steals' the session from the
desktop FFox was in and slaps it into the same desktop as the one KMail
is running in. I am pretty sure that if I had not had a stroke and my
mental facility was up to speed, I might have already figured this out,
but after a week of looking I seem no closer to finding the 'switch' to
turn off this behavior in KMail.

Any help would be appreciated.

Richard

You should be able to set this in Edit-->Preferences--Tabbed Browsing
and it will behave itself as long as Firefox is already open. If Firefox
is _not_ already open it will open in the current window.

--
Ken Schneider

I assume you mean in FFox... That is done and in the case of TBird, it works
as you describe. In KMail, it appears that KMail steals the FFox
application to it's own desktop and then FFox opens the new URL in a new tab,
as it should. The problem isn't that a new window is opening, it is that the
existing window(s) and tabs are moved from one desktop to another.

I believe the problem is in KMail or as some have suggested in KDE itself.

Thank you
Richard