Re: [opensuse] Suse 10.3 install - oh dear (rant only)
  • From: Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 10 May 2008 10:24:40 +0200
Sam Clemens wrote:

Per Jessen wrote:
John wrote:

There is also a bit of oss snobbery concerning closed source drivers
eg Samsung printers and why can't for instance nvidia drivers be
maintained surely the give the interface away freely.

If the interface and the specs are freely available, someone will
write
the driver, I guarantee it. Chances are they're not - at best
they're available under a severe NDA with promises of death and
destruction if
it is violated. The graphics card people tend to be very
tightlipped.

And idiotically so.

It's not like there's any great mysteries about how to do graphics.

I suspect the graphics card people think they're making sound business
decisions - I wouldn't call it idiotic, maybe just misguided.
You're probably right about there being no great mysteries about how to
do graphics - the mysteries are now how to do it FAST, and FASTER.

/Per Jessen, Zürich