Re: [opensuse] Caller ID
  • From: "Andreas van dem Helge" <joakimsen@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 6 May 2008 12:01:22 -0400
Replace the phone system with an Asterisk phone system. Then "simply"
each call can be recorded in an SQL database or a CSV file.

On Tue, May 6, 2008 at 8:16 AM, Richard Creighton <ricreig@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi Gang...

I just converted a very good friend from M$ to SuSE 10.3 (I won't inflict a
beta on her just yet <grin>) and so far she is really happy. She is a
life-long M$ user but she is tired of me nagging her about Linux <big-grin>.
I set her up with Thunderbird to replace her PMMail package she had been
using for years and she sees the possibilities of using it do do the job as
it has much the same look and feel and features. The main problem that I
haven't been able to solve for her is that she runs a small specialty club
with about a couple of thousand current or former members that receive a
mailing list from her periodically. Of course, TB can do this quite
nicely, BUT, I can't figure out how to export her contacts and message base
from PMMail to Thunderbird.
She is like me and old computer parts. She doesn't throw *anything* away
:) Seriously, she compiles a good percentage of the messages she receives
and extracts the information and organizes it by year and puts it into
folders. PMMail makes this pretty easy for her and so will Thunderbird and
with the additional features like the Calendar and task manager add-ons in
TB, it is a dream come true for her. BUT, there is the problem of saving
all of that data from PM and getting it into TB.
So, the question is, does anyone have any suggestions as to how to best
proceed? What I have done so far so her club mail list doesn't have to
shut down is to set up VirtualBox and load WinXP into it and imported PMMail
into that virtual machine which then runs PMMail under a virtual machine
under Linux. This allows her to do her mailings from PMMail within XP on
the Linux machine BUT I want an integrated solution so she doesn't have to
remember where she did what. Eventually I want to extract the information
out of her mailer and put it into OpenOffice Base where she can really use
the database functions to manipulate the information the way it should be
handled. Mailers may facilitate collections, but they aren't DataBase
engines.

Now, what does this have to do with CALLER ID you ask :) ... that is my
other problem....every time anyone calls, she MANUALLY records the name and
number and time in her computer by hand by transcribing from her phone
caller-id log. THERE HAS TO BE A BETTER WAY!!!!! I just can't find it
for SuSE. Maybe I'm looking in the wrong places, so a pointer in the right
direction would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance to all....

Richard