Re: [opensuse] How to restart the network.
  • From: Joe Sloan <joe@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 05 May 2008 20:47:58 -0700
Sam Clemens wrote:
Joe Sloan wrote:
Sam Clemens wrote:
Patrick Shanahan wrote:
* Joseph Loo <jloo@xxxxxxx> [05-05-08 22:46]:
I have Suse 10.1. It turns out that my wireless went down. I
tried to do a ifconfig ath0 down followed by an up. It did not
restart the network. If I do

/etc/init.d/network restart

, will this restart the network? Will this apply to 10.3?

yes, but... better and the openSUSE way: rcnetwork restart (as
root)

akulkis@kulkis:~> file /sbin/rcnetwork /sbin/rcnetwork: symbolic link
to `/etc/init.d/network'

The difference (and suse gets points for this) is that "rcnetwork" is in
the path. So, I can type "rcne<tab> restart" instead of the clumsy "/etc/init.d/network restart"

However...

/etc/init.d/network restart works on ANY *n*x platform except BSD

Right, so if I'm stuck having to write cross platform scripts, I'll use the clunky "one size fits all" method. But in shell sessions on the machines I admin, which are all suse, I'm gonna go ahead and enjoy the benefits...

Joe