Re: [opensuse] Speech-to-Text
  • From: Joseph Loo <jloo@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 03 May 2008 20:10:25 -0700

On Sat, 2008-05-03 at 09:45 +0200, Rikard Johnels wrote:
On Wednesday 30 April 2008 23:37, Donald D Henson wrote:
Does anyone know of an Open Source application to accept continuous
speech and convert it to text? I've found a couple of proprietary apps
but you have to use Voice mail as an input. Any suggestions appreciated.

Don Henson

A few years back there was something called ViaVioce from IBM (i think)
I never got that to work, and as far as i know its been discontinued for
ages...
I havent seen any speech-to-text utilities for linux, nor for windows too for
that matter.
The last time i saw it was on my brothers Amiga way back in the early days.
He actually had it responding to voicecommands.
And there was also a simple voicerecognition software bundled with a
SoundBlaster sound card at one point. But that vas a very long time ago.

I too would love to have speech-to-text, as i am LOUSY at speed typing, and
as
i sometimes tell short stories to my friends, it would be heaven to be able
to get them into printed matter...

My understanding, IBM did not sell the Linux version. In certain cases
VIA voice can be bought at least that is what I have been told.
--
Joseph Loo
jloo@xxxxxxx